Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Art Exhibit and Temple Square

Jon and I went to the Carl Bloch art exhibit last night at BYU. I love Bloch's work - he is one of my favorite artists, especially his depictions of Christ. Here are some of the images we saw:



This is my favorite - the angel comforting Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane.



This one was not at BYU, but I saw it last week in the Visitor's Center up at Temple Square. It is beautiful, and it was perfect for the time of the year. I walked around the Visitors' Center and started with the picture that depicts the angel telling Mary that she would have a son. Then the pictures went in order from there - Christ's birth (above), His teaching in the temple, getting baptized, healing the sick, the crucifixion, rising again, and speaking to Mary Magdalene. (Plus many more).

We also walked around Temple Square and saw the Christmas lights, and were able to listen to a choir concert in the Assembly Hall (Christmas music!) and to sit and listen to an amazing organ piece in the old Tabernacle. I've never done that before, and I want to go back and watch/hear again. The young man was amazing! His feet moved along the pedals as fast as his fingers moved on the keys!

I am grateful to live in Utah and to have so many opportunities to feel the spirit.

2 comments:

Megan is Chuck. Chuck is Megan. said...

Roomdids, what an awesome experience! That's way you guys got to go. I'm sadded that I haven't been able to go to Temple Square this year.

Erika Amonett said...

Great photos, Molls! They capture the essence of the Christmas season. I wish I had such canvases in my home. They are beautiful.

P.S. Hope you are surviving the office this week...and I am still waiting on that slice of bread and jam... ;)