Tuesday, May 15, 2012

History

My father-in-law, Boyd, loves family history and has a lot of old documents and some journals. I love looking through it all and seeing what things cost back in the day, looking at their beautiful handwriting, what activities they did, etc. He has his grandma's journal, and he is letting me type it all up for him. It's from 1938.
So far, I have loved reading it. His grandma certainly did a lot of ironing, washing, cleaning, and mending. And she always had visitors. They often took drives up the canyon. Here are some of my favorite things I have learned so far:

- She seemed to always be shopping for a dress, but could never find one

- I learned that a 'milk nickel' is chocolate coated ice cream bar (a friend bought her one)
- she was upset with another woman for not coming to a party, and wrote "...(she) would not come. We were all angry and think she is ignorant and sadly lacking in courtesy. From now on she is mud in my eye." :)

- the 'menfolk' were obsessed with striking oil
-  on Sundays they would go to church, but still go out for ice cream and shop
- Primary was on Tuesday, and she once wrote "Primary this morning. I wish they would quit Primary".

- she was voted in as the county corresponding secretary for the Stake Pioneer Camp

- it rained a lot in the month of May in 1938

- she visited friends who were sick and helped out a lot at funerals

- Memorial Day used to be called Decoration Day

- they went to the movies sometimes; they saw "The Hurricane", made in 1937.

- She mentioned how her husband was excited about the Shmeling vs. Louis boxing match

- She once wrote "While the children went to Sunday School, dad and I jazzed around in the car all morning". I looked that one up - Jazzed around meant 'to move about aimlessly or without any destination.' So pretty much, just hanging out in the car, driving around. Jon and I do that, too, sometimes! I love that the kids went to church and the parents would  go for a drive :)

Anyway, I'm not even half done yet, but so far I have loved reading it and typing it up. Her handwriting can get a little hard to read sometimes, and I'll have to ask Boyd about a few names - is it Montel or Martel? And her capital D's look like some sort of cursive U with a squiggly line. I had to get used to that pretty fast!

Jeeps...I'd Rather Have a Milk Nickel--Deliciously Chocolate Coated Ice Milk









2 comments:

Heidi said...

How interesting! I can't wait to read the completed document. I love reading family history stories a lot more than trying to look for names:) It makes me feel connected with them, but also grateful that I live now where he have the conveniences of indoor plumbing, disposable diapers and washing machines.

Kara said...

Wow Molly, you are awesome! Thanks for taking the time to type up our family history. Can't wait to read it!