Monday, January 14, 2013

A Couple of Things

This past week I was able to go back to Houston to visit with Emma and her kids. It was great to go back and see them all, and with less people there, I got to have the kids' attention even more... :)

We had a lot of fun - we went to the library for story time, had fun at the Natural Museum of Science, explored some beautiful model homes, had butterflies land and fly all over us in the butterfly museum, ate good food, played lots of rounds of 'LIFE' and the card game 'War', battled it out in Mario Kart on the Wii, sang the ABCs and played with letter blocks with JB at least 25 times, and stayed up late watching Downton and Biggest Loser. It was a really fun week. I can't wait to see them again. I'm sorry Jon was only able to be there for a day or two of it, but I know he really enjoyed seeing them again, too. I just wish we could be by everyone! I miss being by family, and I would love to see all of my nieces and nephews more often.

Right before we left for Houston, we met with a member of the Stake Presidency and Jon got called to be the 2nd Counselor in the bishopric! Unfortunately, I missed him being set apart and ordained, but I am excited/nervous for him. I know he will do a good job - I am a bit selfish, though, because I am disappointed I will be sitting alone now. Perhaps I will look around for someone who is also sitting alone and join them.

Today, twelve of us (family, friends) start the Game On! Challenge. It's a diet/exercise/lifestyle game where the goal is to earn points. Eating 5 small, healthy meals a day equal 30 points (6 points each). Getting 7 hours of sleep at night is 10 points. Exercising 20 minutes per day is 20 points. Stopping a bad habit is another 10 points (I think) per day, and also having a daily new (good) habit is another 10 points earned. Drinking 3 liters of water per day also earns you 10 points (I struggle with that one, but I am going to work my hardest!) You also have points taken away when you snack in between/change your habit in the middle of the game/etc. You get a  some weekly bonus points if you lose 1% of your body weight, too.We also have to talk to someone on our team every day (5 points, 2 people on each team), and communicate with someone on an opposing team (another 5 points). I am excited for the challenge, and Elza and I want to win that money prize! (Everyone chipped in $20).

Yesterday Elder Holland visited San Antonio and we had a special stake conference with him. He spoke for about 40 minutes. Jon and I arrived at the stake center an hour early, but we were already in the mid section in the gym. I found out later the people in the front row woke up at 5 AM to be there really really early. He couldn't shake hands, though, since he had to catch a flight right after, so I don't feel too bad that we were so far back. (I mostly wanted to be in the front so I could shake his hand, haha). Also, being in the gym area is a bit distracting - everything echos, and I feel like people let their kids run around a lot more, also. Oh well. It was still very good, and I am grateful we were able to see and hear him speak to us. He left with a blessing on all of us, and it included everyone we pray for and love, so I guess that means all of you were blessed, too!

I finally took down the Christmas tree last night. I had the ornaments taken down a few weeks ago, but the tree and lights were still up. I called it a "Winter Tree" but I suppose that can't work for too long of a time. More like "I am too lazy to stuff the tree parts back into the plastic bags" kind of tree. It feels good to be done with that - now I just have to unpack from my week in Houston, and I hate unpacking...


2 comments:

Kara said...

So excited to hear about Jon's new calling. It's a sacrifice, but I know that both of you will be blessed!

Witty and Weasel said...

So glad you finally posted a blog. I checked FOR MONTHS-boohoo, no new post. Good luck on the goals! I'm proud of you.