Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Books



So, I made a goal yesterday to read one book every two weeks. I think I will change that to one book every week.

I started A Thousand Splendid Suns last night, and finished all 367 pages of it this morning! (Mostly due to the fact I was sick and stayed up late and woke up early).

I bought the book from our library for 50 cents a month or two ago, but just finally picked it up to read it.  I usually don't cry when I read a book, but this one is about two women in Afghanistan who marry in their teens, and later, through sad/awful circumstances, their lives interact and they go from enemies to best friends. I tried putting myself in their position, and for some reason the tears just kept on flowing! The end is bittersweet, but I am glad I finally picked it up and read it.

I read the author's first book, The Kite Runner, in high school for my AP English class, and really liked that one, but loved this one even more.

Anyway, now it's time to choose another book. Mom suggested East of Eden, so I may go with that one next (if the library carries it). Or something to lift my spirits, like Beverly Cleary's Fifteen (for some reason I just LOVE that book, even though it's probably more for tweens/teens).

Any other good books I need to read?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love books! A few good reads that I've enjoyed lately are "Escape from Rwanda" (a refugee/conversion story) and "Amos Fortune-Free Man."
I love historical fiction/biographies. Some of my all time favorites are "The Fire and the Covenant" (Martin Willie Handcart Company story) and "Shipwrecked at the Bottom of the World (very intriguing story about Ernest Shackleton's exploration of Antarctica... I know it sounds a little boring but Jared loved this one too & he didn't really like to read much:) All of these just leave me feeling so grateful for the modern comforts of life and the freedom we enjoy. I also like Rebecca's easy read juvenile books too recommended by my mom, like "True... sort of" and "Because of Mr. Terupt" Don't you love cheap good finds from the library? Jacob found some "free children's books" they were discarding the wk before Christmas & he was pretty excited to wrap up a ton of gifts for his siblings to open from him. Hope you had a great Christmas. We missed have you both around... although you probably are glad you didn't catch our flu bugs :)