Monday, August 22, 2011

Sister Knight...


Last month, Jon and I gave talks in church. For 2 weeks I worked on my talk, spending hours making sure it was just right. We each had to speak for 17 minutes, and I had a hard time making my talk long enough. It turned out perfectly though, and I even had to cut some of it out while I was speaking so Jon had a enough time for his. I was nervous, but I felt prepared and it turned out just fine.
Yesterday in church, the Sunday School president sat in the pew in front of us, and turned around after Sacrament meeting and asked me to teach.  I thought he was lying, and I asked him if he was kidding. But he said "No kidding, I wouldn't joke about this. The bishopric asked me to ask you to teach Gospel Doctrine in two weeks."
GOSPEL DOCTRINE?!?!
I looked around the room in Sunday School and counted everyone in Gospel Doctrine. There were 90 people! 90! I am the YOUNGEST in the whole group. Everyone is much older and wiser than I am. I don't feel like I have anything to offer, they all know a lot more than I do. It's a new ward, and I don't know anyone, so I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse...I'm thinking worse.
But then I think about it more and try to remember that we are all brothers and sisters and we're all in church to learn and grow together. I've just never taught anything in my life! I don't know how to conduct a class, ask good questions, dive into the scriptures, etc.
Ha, I remember thinking "Whatever calling I get, I hope it's not teaching adults or playing the piano". It's not a calling, maybe this will be the one and only time! They are testing me! haha.
I have already starting preparing - last night Jon and I read the scriptures from the manuel, talked about the meaning, and I started writing down thoughts/questions for them. I've looked up different talks and quotes. The lesson is on "Your Body is a Temple" with scriptures in 1 Corinthians about Paul's preachings. The three topics I need to share are: Unity in Christ, Listening to the Spirit and not the world, and being morally clean.

So if you have any suggestions, let me know. I don't want it to be boring, so I may bring in a short video if I can find one that's relative, etc. (It's a new ward, I don't even know where the library is, haha!) But I feel like we always run out of time, so I want to time it nicely. It's hard when people keep having comments (but at least it wouldn't be silent!)
The members are very nice there, though. I joined ward choir yesterday (we are singing next week for Stake Conference) and there were 48 people there! It was great. I've sung one of the two songs before, but the other one is kind of a struggle. I may have to mouth the words half of the time. :)
The question is: Do you pronounce the place name COR-inth or Cor-INTH? Jon says the second, because you say CorINTHians. I may have been saying it wrong this whole time.
(Oh yeah, last night I even dreamt that I was teaching this lesson. Except it was at a kiosk in the mall, and I had a big whiteboard and only one person was there listening/watching!)

2 comments:

sos said...

I vote COR-inth. Sorry, Jon. You'll do great, especially with all your preparation.

Shelby said...

www.ldsgospeldoctrine.net - I use this almost every week to look at additional material. But just trust yourself and the Holy Ghost and be flexible! Good luck!