Monday, September 19, 2011

WW


I joined Weight Watchers on Saturday morning with my friend Terri and her daughter.

I'm actually pretty excited about it. (I lost some of that excitement when I stepped on their scale and I weighed 8 more pounds there than on my scale at home... But I felt a little better when Terri and her daughter said the same thing about their weigh-in.)

I bought the "Buy One Month, Get One Month Free" deal. I'll try it out for these 2 months and see how it goes. So far, I feel good about it. Terri bought me the PointsPlus calculator too, which I LOVE. I plug in the amount of protein, carbs, fat, and fiber of what I'm eating (I just read the nutrition label) and it tells me how many points it is worth. I check it for everything - a piece of toast, an egg, pasta, milk, etc., and then determine if it is worth the amount of points (I get 32 points per day, plus 49 to use throughout the week.) I think I used about 30 of my extra points at the Utah State Fair on Saturday...!

I'm pretty excited and confident about the plan. All fruits are free (so zero points), and most veggies are too. I need to buy more wheat things - like pasta, bread, rice, and tortillas. But I have a hard time buying new stuff without finishing the old first.

Last night I cooked up some zucchini and squash and I added in some garlic and onion and olive oil. It was only 1 point! (because of the oil) and it was delish! Even Jon liked it (and he really doesn't like zucchini OR squash). Of course, the corn bread muffins I also made were 4 points each...

Anyway, so far so good. It's mostly just eating healthy and the right portion size (surprise, surprise.) But I think it will help to be accountable to stranger, also (and it's fun to have a friend to do it with!).

Yesterday when I was counting the points, I realized that I really did eat a lot of junk, especially when I was bored or when I just craved it. 1/2 cup of ice cream is 8 points! So it's nice to have those extra 49 a week for treats like that. At first I thought that those were a TON of extra points, but I realized they add up quickly.  I froze the soft grapes (I HATE soft grapes - only crunchy!) so they will be a nice frozen zero-point treat/snack!

So this morning I had a piece of toast (3 points), 2 eggs (4 points) and a little cheese (2 points) and a big glass of water. In the mid morning I had an apple (0!) and another 16 ounces of water, and right now I'm having soup (6 points instead of 3, because I eat the whole can of Progresso soup, which is 2 servings) and a corn muffin (4 points). So 19 points so far, and I have 13 points left for dinner. I think we'll have baked chicken and more zucchini and squash (thanks to neighbors who share the produce from their gardens!) with some rice. Mmmm mmmm. Jon is very supportive too, which is so nice! He is so positive and cheers me on and is encouraging. I love that man to death!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

That's awesome - good luck! I know that WW is super successful so I'm sure you'll do great.

sos said...

Good luck...it sure makes you aware of snacking doesn't it? Who knew cornbread would be so high in points? You'll do a great job!