Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Perfect Day

Yesterday was a perfect day.

Even though work was slow. And one of the kids I babysat last night was ornery and wouldn't stop crying. And I'm on a budget. And the backyard needs to be mowed. And my bedroom isn't the very cleanest.

BUT, yesterday was perfect because:

-I got to hang out with Jon. We opened up some new baseball cards together, and I love to see how excited he is when he gets one that he's been wanting for a long time. We ate lunch together at home, then went to the Provo temple and walked around and enjoyed each other's company. We stayed and sat on the lawn for a long time and talked about everything and anything. Then we went to The Creamery and as soon as we walked in, Elza was right there! She usually doesn't work on Wednesdays, and it was a nice surprise. We bought dinner at the grill - a kid's hamburger, fries, drink, and ice cream - only $3.50 a person, and enjoyed eating it while sitting in the booth and talking some more. Afterwards, we went home and played some Arcade basketball. Best out of 3. Jon beats me every time, but I give him the run for his money. Some games are pretty close...others are not. THEN, we got to babysit Chris and Marian and baby John while Emma and John played softball. I love seeing and playing with the kids, and Jon is great with them. They always love when he comes over to play, and I know Jon loves seeing them, too.

- As mentioned before, I got to see Elza at The Creamery! Elza is always so positive and smiley, it's hard not to just automatically cheer up when you see her face.

- I got to see Meggo! It wasn't for very long, (only a couple of minutes), but any day that we see each other is kind of rare. Opposite schedules, work, boyfriend, school, etc. But Megan is constantly thinking about others. Even when she is having a hard time, she forgets about herself and always asks me what she can do to help me or make me feel better. I couldn't ask for a better roommate. (And, she throws glamorous dinner parties!)

- I talked to mom on the phone. I do this almost every day. So obviously that always adds to the perfect day. Sometimes it's only a 5 minute conversation, sometimes it's 50 minutes. Either way, I love talking to Mumsy. Even when she is very busy and I interrupt dinner or Mexican train, etc, she always talks to me.

- I read some of my book that I got from the library. "It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties". There are 26 chapters from different female authors. Expectations they had growing up and what they thought life would be in their twenties: a glamorous life filled with gorgeous clothes, the perfect job, beautiful apartment, lots of money, etc. And then they write about the reality of it: debt, mice in their apartment, bar tending, being single. So far I'm enjoying the book; it makes me not feel so bad for being not-so-rich and not having the nicest furniture or decorations in my house. At least I haven't seen any mice!

- I have a budget. It's good and bad. Good, because I'll learn self-control and I'll be able to save money. Bad, because I have materialistic qualities and I like A LOT of THINGS. BUT, I can honestly say that I'm pretty RELIEVED. Before, I wasn't spending more than what I make, but I wasn't saving up much money either. So far, so good. Then again, it's only been a few days. But I always look through home decorating and furniture magazines, and I dog-ear the pages that have things that I love and would like for my future home; those wood floors, a kitchen sink or stove, a certain bathtub, that color on the walls, a particular porch, etc. Obviously, to eventually get those things, I need to have money. I always thought "have the cash first" before buying anything. Unless it's a car or house. As much as I would like those things now, I'm trying to get out of the rut and not expect instant gratification.

Anyway, that's all part of my perfect day yesterday. :)

2 comments:

Megan is Chuck. Chuck is Megan. said...

I like that you said you had lunch at home and then a bit later you had lunch at The Creamery. Just saying. I love your face, Miss Molly and tonight will be amazing.

sos said...

I like your new blog look. Didn't cost you a thing!!