Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

The 4th of July is my second favorite holiday (following Christmas). I started off the 4th of July holiday last Sunday. There was a Freedom Festival devotional at the Marriott Center in the evening. It was aaamazing. There were a ton of singers and patriotic songs, the military songs were played by the orchestra (during which those who served in our military stood up and were recognized), guest speakers, including Steve Young, a young man who was badly wounded in Afghanistan, a slideshow of two young men from Mountain View High School who were killed in the war last year (their mothers stood on the stage while the slideshow was going on, and members of the military folded and presented them each with an American flag - very touching), bagpipes, stories of our forefathers, etc. I wasn't sure if I was going to go or not, and I'm sooo glad that I did. It was definitely the right kickoff for the upcoming holiday weekend.

Yesterday morning, Elza and I woke up around 6 and headed over to the park across the street and watched the hot air balloons being inflated. It was pretty cool to see, although it was too windy for them to take off, so we also got to see them deflate. (I saw them flying later that day, so the wind must have cooperated). Then after a little shopping, we headed over to Jim and Julie's house for some swimming and a BBQ. (Man, I have lots of girl cousins!) Following that, I joined Emma and John and the kids for fireworks down by Helaman Halls. I got there around 6, and the fireworks didn't start until 10, so there was a lot of running around with kids, especially Adam and Chris. Man, those boys have some crazy imaginations. It's so fun to hear what they make up and pretend! Here are some pics I took while we waited for the fireworks:







I'll probably go to the parade tomorrow downtown, but today I was driving by around 4 and the streets are already crowded with chairs and blankets and tents. It's crazy! I love living in Provo at this time of the year, and we have the most convenient location. No need to find parking!
I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!! That fireside sounds really awesome, I'm jealous!

You look SO awesome in that pic of you!!! Your face looks so slim and everything.. whoa hottie! Keep it up! :)