Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Being Loved and Staying Positive

I am loved. And I've been feeling it more and more lately. By people around me, by my family and friends, by members of my ward (especially the bishopric), and the love that Heavenly Father and Christ have for me. I don't think anything has changed drastically in my life. But I feel that I have had a change of heart. My heart has been full of gratitude and appreciation recently. In church, members of the Stake High Council always bring the love of the Stake Presidency when they come to visit our ward. The bishop always expresses his love for the ward members pretty much every time we see him. I think I always listened to the words, but I'm not sure if I ever really felt them before now.
I know the Lord loves me with an incredible love. I know He is always there for me and watches over me. I know that I am a daughter of God. I know that the Bishop cares for each member in the ward, and is interested in the ways we conduct our lives. He is there to help us and to give counsel and words of encouragement. He wants us to succeed.
I feel the love that family and friends have for me; helping me in the yard, fixing my car, letting me come over to their house all of the time, making me laugh, feeding me words of encouragement, giving me compliments, listening to my stories, allowing me to cry on their shoulder, inviting me to activities, telling me that I'm not crazy, hearing that I'm missed when I don't go to something, supporting my dreams, hanging out with me just to be with me, and so much more! There are so many good people in this world, and I think that too often we find or seek out only the negative in our lives.
A study found that for every ONE negative in our life, it takes ELEVEN positives to cancel it out. Can you believe that? About a month ago, I attended a conference where the public speaker spoke about 'self-talk'. (Words and thoughts we have throughout the day about ourselves.) He said to try to go just 24 hours without giving yourself any negative self-talk. You could only say and think positive words and thoughts about yourself. He then concluded "It's going to be a very quiet day." How often do we look at ourselves and think how awesome we are? Or how pretty or handsome we are? Or tell ourselves that we are smart and confident? I don't think that happens very often.
So here's to being grateful for everything in my life (even the negative experiences, because I grow from them = positive). It may be hard to be thankful for my bad experiences, but I know they only make me a stronger and better person in the grand scheme of things. This earth life is so short, why hang on to the negative experiences? Learn from them and move on. And try not to repeat the same mistakes. And that is just what I intend to do.

No comments: