Saturday, May 1, 2010

How Change Happens

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.

-Dr. Seuss
Oh, the Places You'll Go!

I was reading a diet book today, and here are 10 tips they give to make changes happen:

1. Learn about the problem you're facing and how to overcome it. (Weight is gained when excess calories are consumed, and modern foods tend to be calorie-concentrated.)
2. Find out why you have gained weight and what will correct it. (You've been eating more calories than you burn.)
3. Analyze your past habits and determine how they should be changed. (You need to eat fewer calories.)
4. Gather reliable information. (reading this book!)
5. Rely on the support of others.
6. Include your family and friends. (Recruit an accountable partner - someone you will allow to be openly honest with you.) Thank you, Emma.
7. Think positive. You can do this! (Don't let yourself feel deprived when you choose not to eat calorie-concentrated foods. Be glad you have options. Millions of people have no options regarding what they eat. You're one of the lucky ones. You get to choose.)
8. Give yourself small rewards for making good choices. (I think if I reach one of my small goals by June 1, I will treat myself with a pedicure, or a movie, etc.)
9. Create safe havens at home and at work. (Don't surround yourself with temptations.)
10. Make good choices in the supermarket. (Then it's easy to make good choices at mealtime.)

I love numbers 7, 8 and 10.

Here's a question: How different would your life be if you were at your ideal weight?

I have so many different answers, but I am going to keep this question in my head whenever I don't feel like working out, or when I see that slice of cake, or when I feel like giving up because the numbers on the scale aren't going down.

I can do it! I'm going to reach my immediate goal of 1** pounds by June 1st!

1 comment:

Emma and John said...

you can do it molly! you know I'm always here to keep you on track. Keep it up! :)